- Grammarly – An online software program that is used to check for plagiarism and also checks for grammar mistakes. WU Students need to use an access code to use this tool. Please check with your academic advisor for the code.
- Plagtracker – Free software to check your paper against others for instances of plagiarism.
- Plagiarism and citing original work
Writing your paper
- Infoplease– How To Write a Research Paper
- OWL Writing Lab – Purdue OWL is a premier online writing center dedicated to the mission of helping people with their writing skills. The Online Writing Lab (OWL) at Purdue University houses writing resources and instructional materials as a free service of the Writing Lab at Purdue. Students, members of the community, and users worldwide will find information to assist with many writing projects. Teachers and trainers may use this material for in-class and out-of-class instruction.
- Steps in the research process
- Youtube video on research process
- Evaluating your sources
- Evaluating websites (NetTutor)
- Research Guide for Students – This Website might not appear to be much at first, as the layout is bare bones; but it’s actually an extremely good resource for researchers. It provides guidelines for the technical aspects of writing a paper such as layout and style guides as well as a plethora of links to other research resources on just about every topic imaginable. And for those writing about classic literature, it also provides resources that are work-specific.
- Dictionary – Spelling and word use are also outlines for each word for better use and placement in your writing. A section on the site also covers how to choose between words that seem to have identical meanings.
- Grammarly – makes sure everything you type is easy to read, effective, and mistake-free. Instantly fix over 250 types of errors, most of which Microsoft Word® can’t find. All AST degree students have access to this service via your online course.
- Thesaurus – one of the vital tools that every good English writer has in their arsenal of tools for writing better. Thesaurus helps users in becoming a better writer by providing alternative words and phrases to perfectly expressing yourselves in written English. Thesaurus offers the best collection of synonyms and antonyms that you could use to improve your vocabulary while writing in English.
- Grammar Book – one of the best online resources to help you improve your writing skills. From punctuation rules to grammar quizzes and blog posts, Grammar Book has it all. This website also offers free features of the The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation. Full text of the actual book requires purchase.
- Readability – an aspect of writing which many writers fail to take note of. No matter how grammatically correct maybe your sentences, taking the readability factor into consideration is essential in writing better English.