Specific Limits on Course Substitutions

Students may fulfill degree requirements by successfully completing courses offered at WU. Students may also secure credit for prior learning.

Empty tab. Edit page to add content here.

Responsibility for Prior Learning Decisions

Decisions regarding the awarding of credit for prior learning are made by the Registrar’s Office in consultation with the appropriate Lead Professor. The Registrar’s Office provides students with transcript evaluations and other documents specifying the type and amount of credit granted.

For high school graduates, baccalaureate level courses taken at a regionally accredited college or university, and in which the student earned a grade of “C” or better (or “P” if the courses were offered on a Pass/Fail basis), are eligible for transfer toward a degree with WU. College courses taken by high school students must meet the following accreditation criteria in order to be transferable to an WU degree: The college or university must be an institution of higher education accredited by a regional accrediting body, national accrediting body, or professional accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation.

Courses taken at an unaccredited institution will be considered on a case by case, course by course basis. Applicants may be asked to provide course syllabi or other evidence needed to make those judgments. If experience shows that WU can have confidence in a given college, then the Registrar’s Office may place it on a list of “approved colleges,” which will facilitate the transfer process.WU reserves the right to withhold recognition of credits awarded by any college or university that does not, in the opinion of the administration, meet reasonable academic standards.

Credits earned at vocational or technical institutions, which are equivalent in content to required WU courses, may be transferred according to the policies stated above. A maximum of 12 such credits may be applied as General Electives. If students have completed vocational programs based on clock hours, rather than credit hours, then transfer credit will be computed on the basis of 50 clock hours equaling 1 credit hour.

Once admitted to WU as a degree-seeking student, students must petition in advance of taking courses at other colleges. An approved Petition to Take Coursework Elsewhere grants permission to transfer such courses to WU for degree program credit. This petition is available from the Registrar’s Office. Courses taken concurrently which are not pre-approved will have no guarantee of being accepted for credit toward an WU degree, but will be evaluated for suitability of transfer.

WU does not grant credit for remedial coursework, college orientation, high school level courses (apart from the Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate programs described below), or General Education Development (GED) tests. The university also does not grant credit for duplicated courses (e.g. Beginning Composition completed at one college and Freshman English completed at another). If a course has been repeated for credit, the last grade earned will be used in the evaluation of the acceptance of credit.

Students who transfer credits from non-English-speaking countries must provide a certified translation of transcripts and course descriptions, as well as a detailed and comprehensive evaluation of the transcripts performed by Global Credential Evaluators (www.gcevaluators.com) or some other service approved by the university. A copy of the transcript in the native language must accompany the certified translation.

Credit by Examination

Credit toward graduation may be granted by examination and from non-traditional sources. Scores should be reported by the appropriate testing service. WU does not grant duplicate credit for subject areas covered by multiple examinations (e.g. AP credit for English and CLEP credit for English). Credit may be granted for:

  • Successfully passing Advanced Placement Exams of The College Entrance Examination Board (APCEEB). WU students receive units of credits for AP exams completed with a score of 3 or higher.
  • Successfully passing International Baccalaureate (IB) Examinations. WU students receive units of credits for IB exams completed with a score of 5 or higher.
  • Successfully passing College Level Examination Program (CLEP) exams. WU students receive units of credits for CLEP exams completed with a score of 50 or higher
  • Successfully passing American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) exams.
  • DANTES, PEP, and Other Types of Credit by Examination: Students may also secure credit through other standardized examinations. Examples include the U.S. military’s Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Educational Support tests (DANTES) and the Proficiency Examination Program (PEP). Requests are handled on a case-by-case basis.

Credit for Military Training

Military training courses are evaluated according to the guidelines set forth by the American Council on Education (ACE) as published in the Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services. Students must submit all pertinent documentation to the Registrar’s Office for evaluation. Military transfer courses should be reported on an Army American Council on Education Registry Transcript (AACERT) or Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART)—or, if not available, on form DD295 for personnel still in the armed services and on form DD214 for those discharged. A maximum of thirty units may be granted on the basis of Military Service Study.

Credit for Business and Industry Training

Business and Industry courses are evaluated according to the American Council on Education (ACE) National Guide to Educational Credit for Training Programs and/or the National Program on Non-College Sponsored Institutions (NPONSI). Students must submit all pertinent documentation to the Registrar’s Office for evaluation.

Students in undergraduate programs are limited to two course substitutions within the Major Course Sequence through transfer credits or credit for prior learning. Otherwise WU accepts an unlimited number of credits for prior learning within the bounds of the university’s residency requirements.