The Pastoral Studies program is appropriate for students who are preparing to serve as pastors, evangelists or as members of a pastoral staff. It is especially suitable for those whose denominations accept the B.A. degree for ordination. The degree program consists of theoretical and applied studies. Principle aims are to provide each student with a broadly-based Christian education in an environment that is conducive to social, intellectual and spiritual growth and to prepare him/her for pastoral ministry or seminary studies.
With the successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the Bible, theology, Christian tradition, ethics, mission of the church and the development of leadership within it.
- Exhibit proficiency in critical thinking in research writing, biblical interpretation, sermon delivery, pastoral administration and conflict resolution.
- Utilize higher order thinking in computer-based information retrieval and communication skills.
- Develop an understanding of practical theology and relevant ministerial skills with sensitivity to gender, ethnicity, culture and disability.
- Apply theological reflection and ethical understanding to pastoral practices, church planting and growth and community service.
Following is a sample course sequence for students in the BA in Pastoral Studies program (please note individual degree programs may vary):
|PSS 100 Academic Strategies
CIS 101 Computer Literacy
ENG 101A Reading and Comprehension
MTH 115 College Algebra
HIS 101 American History
COM 146 Communication
ENG 101B Critical Thinking, Reading & Writing
PSC 152 Physical Science
OTS 113 History & Literature of Ancient Israel
PSY 221 Psychology
BIO 151 Introduction to Biology
POL 241 American Government
ENG204 Interdisciplinary Reading, Writing & Research
NTS 126 History & Literature of the Early Christians
ART 220 Introduction to Film
SOC 230 Sociology
PHY 155 Physics
PHL 271 Philosophy
THE 245 Theological Foundations
THE 280 Pentecostalism
PHL 263 Social Ethics
SSC 304 World Religions
PHI 210 Christian Worldview & Contemporary Living
THE 423 Survey of Historical Theology
THE 320 Apostolic Theology
THE 475 Hermeneutics
OTS 340 Pentateuch
NTS 302 Life of Christ
NTS 431 Apostolic Age
PST 461 Theology of Ministry
CMN 301 Dynamics of Christian Ministry
CLD 371 Ministry Management
PST 368 Principles of Church Growth
PST 450 The Church in Context
PST 365 Introduction to Apologetics
PST 463 Homiletics
BBL 350 Spiritual Formation
PST 367 Pastoral Care
PSY 476 Counseling
PST 499 Pastoral Studies Capstone