Students will be introduced to critical methods of biblical interpretation, current issues in biblical research, and further tools of exegesis. A strong emphasis is placed on developing proficiency in biblical languages. The program is recommended for those planning to pursue a career in biblical studies by continuing studies at a seminary or graduate school. It may also be appropriate for pastors or laypersons who are involved in church ministry.
With the successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Understand trends in biblical research and apply critical methods to the biblical text.
- Develop the ability to reason and write intelligently on biblical and theological issues.
- Do exegesis on a biblical passage.
- Place the Bible within its historical context.
- Develop proficiency in reading the Bible in the original languages.
- Acquire biblical and theological knowledge beyond the core requirement.
- Trace the theological history of the church.
- Apply scriptural insight to personal life and ministry.
Following is a sample course sequence for students in the BA in Biblical Studies program (please note individual degree programs may vary):
|PSS 100 Academic Strategies
CIS 101 Computer Literacy
ENG 101A Reading and Comprehension
MTH 115 College Algebra
HIS 101 American History
COM 146 Communication
ENG 101B Critical Thinking, Reading & Writing
PSC 152 Physical Science
OTS 113 History & Literature of Ancient Israel
PSY 221 Psychology
BIO 151 Introduction to Biology
POL 241 American Government
ENG 204 Interdisciplinary Reading, Writing & Research
NTS 126 History & Literature of the Early Christians
ART 220 Introduction to Film
SOC 230 Sociology
PHY 155 Physics
PHL 271 Philosophy
THE 245 Theological Foundations
THE 280 Pentecostalism
PHL263 Social Ethics
SSC 304 World Religions
PHI 210 Christian Worldview & Contemporary Living
THE 423 Survey of Historical Theology
THE 320 Apostolic Theology
HIS 227 Ancient World History
THE 475 Hermeneutics
HEB 419 Biblical Hebrew I
HEB 420 Biblical Hebrew II
OTS 340 Pentateuch
OTS 419 Survey of Prophetic Literature
GRK 331 Greek I
GRK 332 Greek II
NTS 431 Apostolic Age
NTS 302 Life of Christ
NTS 400 Matthew
NTS 410 John’s Literature & Theology
NTS 415 Paul’s Literature & Theology
THE 471 Eschatology
BBL 499 Biblical Studies Capstone